One of my player's in my Tomb of Annihilation campaign has decided to take the mounted combat approach with his character. When I looked up the rules in the PH I felt I needed a cheat sheet and some clarification. I watched the Dragon Talk episode on Youtube about the subject and wrote up this little guide hopefully you find is useful!
|Art by Uncannyknack|
What is a Mount?
- Must be at least one size larger than you
- Must have appropriate anatomy*.
- If your mount is knocked prone, you can use your reaction to dismount and land on your feet. Otherwise you
- A rider
- An independent mount is any creature untrained to accept a rider, or it is intelligent*. An intelligent mount may allow itself to be controlled if it so desires but then must follow the controlled mount rules.
- has no restriction on actions it can take.
- The mount moves and acts as it wishes on it’s own initiative count.
- For the purpose of the Find Steed (PH 240) spell the player may choose if the summoned steed will be controlled or independent.
- At the Dungeon Master’s discretion, the rider is place in a specific square of the mount or is in the center of the mount based on what the situation may require.
Rules are as per 5th edition Player Hnadbook p. 198 and the episode of Dragon Talk: Sage Advice on Mounted Combat. from February 27, 2018
*What constitutes an intelligent mount is l