One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.” -Hunter S. Thompson


Monday, June 15, 2020

Gygax 75 Challenge Sources

These of the sources for my Gygax 75 Challenge. Technically this post belongs to Week One. At first I wasn't going to post my sources, but I changed my mind. Future blog posts will have tons of spoilers in them anyway so I figured I might as well show my inspirations.


H. P. Lovecraft – Kingsport and Dream Cycle
  • The Terrible Old Man
  • The Festival
  • The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
  • The Silver Key
  • The Strange High House in the Mist
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
  • The Thing on the Doorstep
Notes: When I was first thinking about the dungeon I would need to build later on I thought of a mist shrouded city. The dungeon would be a mythic underworld connected to a land of dreams. This would explain the weirdness as one descended deeper into a place where dreams and nightmares gained a stronger foot hold on reality.








Alexandre Dumas
  • The Three Musketeers (Movie and T.V series)
  • The Count of Monte Cristo (Movie)


Notes: Watching the BBC Three Musketeers was what got me excited about this setting. I have not read the actual novels written by Dumas. But these are two of the many movies that I have seen that provide the basis of inspiration.





























Clark Ashton Smith – Averoigne Cycle


  • The End of the Story
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • The Maker of Gargoyles
  • The Mandrakes
  • The Beast of Averoigne
  • The Holiness of Azedarac
  • The Colossus of Ylourgne
  • The Disinterment of Venus
  • The Mother of Toads
  • The Enchantress of Sylaire
  • The Saytr


Notes: I wanted there to be weirdness beyond Lovecraft in the setting. Because of the French setting the Averoigne cycle seemed to be a perfect fit. 




Tom Moldvay –X2 Castle Amber

Notes: This is a classic D&D module. It also has ties to Clark Ashton Smith and Averoigne. I haven't actually read it but the little I have read about it reminds me of Maure Castle which I think is an amazing dungeon. I figure this should provide some old school inspiration when needed during the creative process. 




















All For One – Regime Diabolique 2nd edition 
Savage Worlds
Published 2019 by Triple Ace Games, Paul “Wiggy” Wade Williams

Notes: When I was thinking about swashbuckling musketeer action it occurred to me that savage worlds would probably be perfect for this type of roleplaying. A search lead me to discover this really cool pdf. It basically mashes the musketeers up with some fantasy and horror elements. This should provide a great source of stuff to adapt and use for this project. 


5 comments:

  1. Hi there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

    Like!! Really appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really thank you! Keep writing. This is my site. พนันบอลออนไลน์ , แทงบอลออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, we have conducted this review based upon the professionalism of the dissertation writers, the quality of their work, and the timeliness they provide in completing your work. If you are curious to know more about dissertation writing service, here you can get more information about it.

    ReplyDelete