One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.” -Hunter S. Thompson


Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Way of Kings: The Gamer Archive

I’m back after another long hiatus of the blog. As I went through some of my favorite blogs I noticed I’m not the only one who has had a dearth of posts in the past while. Life has a way of sweeping you up and putting blogging on low priority. Not to mention that it’s difficult to write new and interesting content. I don’t want to be one of those blogs that just rehashes what everyone else is saying.

Shadows Over Innistrad is a great expansion!


What have I been doing game wise? First, on the RPG front I have done nothing for as long as I can remember. I have the 5e PH but I haven’t even really done anything with it. I’ve still been playing Magic: The Gathering quite a bit. The new Shadows Over Innistrad set has been pretty awesome. I managed to win first place at the pre-release tournament at my friendly neighbourhood game store! Magic has been my go to game since it is fast to play and finding a group of players is easy.
 
Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

My local game store is also big fans of Warhammer. I’ve tried a few times now to get into miniature war games. I’ve picked up the start of a fantasy orcs and goblins army, and 40k Blood Angels. I have yet to play any actual games with them yet which is a bit frustrating. Lastly I picked up two Games Workshop board games. Deathwatch Overkill and Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. I’m very excited to get those put together and get some play time in. I’m not making any promises here, but I hope to write up a review of these games when time permits.

Deathwatch: Overkill

Finally, on the reading front I just finished rereading the first Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Autumn Twilight and I’ve now started on Brian Sanderson’s epic fantasy series The Way of Kings. Dragons of Autumn Twilight was a fun read. It’s not without its faults but I still enjoyed it. I don’t really understand what people have against Dragonlance. I think over the years, now having more distance from RPGs has put a few things in perspective for me. I no longer really understand the polarized nature of gamers. That is to say that as I’ve browsed various forums I’ve noticed this tendency for gamers to really come down hard on settings or games that they think suck. I don’t really see it as a healthy thing for the nerd community. But that’s probably a blog entry for another day. The short of it, be kind to each other fellow gamers.

Why all the hate?


As for Sandersons’s Way of Kings. Holy Shit. This is a great read. I can see how Sanderson was chosen to finish Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. The dude can write. His worlds are interesting, though the magic in this world has elements similar to his Mistborn series. I think that you could probably make many comparisons to the Way of Kings and the Mistborn series, yet each is also distinct and entertaining in it’s own way. Either way the book has been excellent and I highly recommend it.

Books 1 & 2 of The Stormlight Archive, do yourself a favour and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment