One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.” -Hunter S. Thompson


Monday, April 22, 2019

Bucking Tradition: The Forbidden Wilderlands Square Crawl

When I first conceived of doing the Forbidden Wilderlands I had planned it as a hex crawl that I would adapt from the Wilderlands of High Fantasy Elphand Lands hex map. I wanted to have a blank map the players could fill in as they discovered stuff but I couldn't find a blank hex map of the size and style I wanted. Then I saw the Mutant Year Zero RPG and how they present a map with squares instead of hexes. I was a little concerned about what a square crawl would mean in terms of how a traditional hex crawl works, but to be honest it works perfectly fine. Moving diagonally is allowed and costs no extra movement (though technically it should, I didn't think that level of detail mattered). Each square is 5 miles square. The best thing is that the sheets of paper I made my map with are big enough the players can write all sorts of notes on the map directly so eventually we will have a pretty cool artifact of the campaign!

This is the map in all its glory!

This is the starting area of the campaign 

Just a random shot of the map.

Player Notes

More player notes

No comments:

Post a Comment