One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.” -Hunter S. Thompson


Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Digital Dark Age Campaign Project

In my absence from the blog I've managed to get a bunch of reading done. These days I tend to be reading science fiction. I've been really enjoying the “Honor Harrington” series by David Weber. Book 5, “Flag in Exile” is the next one on the docket. I killed the first book of Weber's “Safehold” series  “Off Armageddon Reef” and was completely blown away. It was a fun read, that had a great story and well developed characters. Best of all it really made you think about the role of religion and the nature of humanity. In particular its one of those books that provides so many ideas that would be great in a D&D game. I devoured “March Upcountry” an awesome military sci-fi action novel by John Ringo and David Weber.This is the first book in their “Empire of Man” series. John Ringo's “A Hymn Before Battle” was also fucking fantastic. If your looking for military sci-fi you can't go wrong with Ringo.

As a kid I grew up on movies like Star Wars and Aliens and I loved Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Deep Space 9. Wrath of Khan will always be my favourite Star Trek movie even though the new ones are pretty rad. Yet at some point my love of sci-fi was dwarfed with fantasy. I started playing D&D and I lost interest. Recently that's changed and I've had a hard time being all that pumped about fantasy. At the very least I've lost interest in the traditional Tolkien type fantasy. More and more my thoughts turn to aliens, giant spaceships, psychic powers, and galactic empires. For a while now thoughts of a space opera campaign have been percolating in my mind. Something closer to science fantasy, but weighted more towards the science fiction side. I like the idea of nobles wielding laser swords, and mystical orders of psychics. I envision massive starships that travel faster than light through astral space that can only be navigated by guild pilots whose smoke special drugs.

Since my regular gaming has more or less stopped I haven't had much to blog about. For a while now I've been considering some kind of project to get my creative juices flowing. So I've decided that I would like to revamp my Digital Dark Age campaign setting and present it piece by piece on the blog. At this point I'm not sure what kind update schedule I will have, but I would like to shoot for once a week at the very least. So if this is something you find interesting be sure to check back in.



No comments:

Post a Comment